Tully AD plant Ballymena
ByoFlex in use at the Tully AD plant Ballymena
The Tully Centralised Anaerobic Digestion Plant designed and built by Nature Energy, uses the ammonia stripping technology of ByoFlex® to allow the plant to use, as feedstock, up to 100% poultry litter. It is one of the first anaerobic digestion plants in the world able to do so.
The plant wanted to process 100% poultry litter to produce biogas. To be able to do this the plant had to deal with the ammonia intoxication caused by the high nitrogen content of poultry litter.
Normally the ammonia intoxication would cause the methane producing bacteria to die and stop the biogas production.
With the ByoFlex® technology the ammonia intoxication can be controlled by constantly removing a part of the ammonium from the substrate. This substrate with low ammonium content will be used to dilute the fresh incoming poultry litter. In this way the ammonium content is controlled, so that the bacteria can optimally produce biogas. By constantly monitoring the system, it can be adjusted where necessary.
The plant now successfully processes 40.000 tons of poultry litter each year to produce biogas and 3 MW of renewable electricity. With the ByoFlex® technology they also produce a high-quality organic fertilizer.
Specifications and features
- Delivery 2×10 m3/hr ByoFlex® system; commissioned in 2017
- Integrated control system of stripper to maximize operational flexibility
- Up to 75% reduction of ammonia from the thin fraction after a decanter
- Already pasteurized liquid is taken in; no extra heat source needed
- Production of ammonium sulphate with 8% N and 9% S; pH neutral
- Reliable, flexible, with low operating and maintenance costs
- Services contract with remote monitoring, trouble shooting, spare parts delivery and periodic inspections
We like a challenge! Do you've any questions about our systems or are you searching for a solution for your problem?
About the systems
Ballymena Plant uses ByoFlex
Byosis combines and translates her extended knowledge with digestion and fermentation processes into practical and feasible solutions. Byosis offers solutions that improve the efficiency and capacity of the digestion process considerably.